In 1854 fifty-one members of the First Church, plus six more from other local churches, organized the Second Congregational Church of Winsted. They met at Camp’s Hall until a church could be built on Main St. in 1857.
Rev. Newell M. Callhoun, who was called to pastor the church in 1897, led a campaign to build a new stone church in the French Gothic style. His plan came to fruition in 1899 when the new church was formally dedicated and is still the church building to this day.
In 1957 the First Church (Baptist and Congregational) merged with the Second Congregational Church giving a new name to the church, the Church of Christ (Baptist & Congregational). The merger didn’t last long and many returned to the First Church. Some Baptists, however, decided to remain so this church kept its name, the Church of Christ (Baptist & Congregational), and affiliated with both Baptist and Congregational denominations.
Though the Church of Christ had been supporting the missions and state organization of the United Church of Christ (UCC), it did not join that denomination until 1985 under the direction of Rev. Bob Martin. In 2003 several members of the church became increasingly concerned about the UCC’s hostility to biblical Christianity, which led to intense debate and tumult in the church.
In 2004 the church voted to leave the UCC and in that same year Rev. James DiQuattro retired after serving the church for nineteen years. In 2005 the church called Rev. Robert Walderman as an Intentional Interim Pastor to guide the church in a more biblical direction, with the result that the church voted in a Statement of Faith in December of 2005.
In 2007, the church decided to affiliate with the National Association of Congregational Christian Churches (NACCC), though it left that fellowship a few years latter. Though the Baptist Church still retains its affiliation with the American Baptist Churches. SCC’s current clergy, Pastors Doug Aldrich and Dan Cote, hold standing with the Conservative Congregational Christian Conference.
In 2011 the church changed its name back to its original title, the Second Congregational Church, as per its desire to be biblical, traditional and Protestant.